Can I apply for the Government Home Discount Scheme if I switch my energy supplier?

By Energy Company Numbers on February 1, 2019 in Government and Schemes, Help and advice

The Government Home Discount Scheme, otherwise known as The Warm Home Discount Scheme, was introduced in 2014 and came into force in 2015. This scheme allows home owners to benefit from £140 off their electricity bill for Winter. The existing dedicated support for low income and vulnerable households will be maintained until March 2017.

We have received quite a few enquiries about whether it’s possible to apply for the Government Home Discount Scheme if you switch energy supplier, so we have contacted a few industry experts to answer this question once and for all. Here’s the answer:

Can I apply for the Warm Home Discount if I switch my energy supplier?

Yes, you can apply for the Government Home Discount Scheme if you switch your energy supplier to any of the suppliers listed below (supporting suppliers). Most energy suppliers will require you to fill out a re-application for the Warm Home Discount in order to receive it, while others may apply your Warm Home Discount automatically, so long as they have the correct details for doing so. If you want to switch to a new energy supplier because they can offer you cheaper energy prices, but they do not publicly support the scheme, then you can ask them to do so when you speak to them. There has been cases where suppliers have helped people who would otherwise be eligible.

Warm Home Discount eligibility and supporting suppliers

The Warm Home Discount is split into two groups, the ‘Broader group’ and the ‘Core Group’.

You are automatically eligible for the scheme if you are aged under 65 and receiving only the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, whether you have a Savings Credit or not, or if you are on Disability, Enhanced Disability or Severe Disability Premiums. This is the ‘Core Group’. You are eligible for the ‘Broader Group’ Warm Home Discount if you are on income support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Universal Credit or if your annual household income is less than £16,190.

In order to be eligible for the Government Home Discount Scheme, your energy supplier must be a part of the scheme. At the time of writing, the following energy suppliers are signed up (there may be others, so we recommend you contact your energy supplier to find out):

  • Atlantic
  • British Gas
  • EDF Energy
  • E.ON
  • Ebico
  • First Utility
  • npower
  • OVO Energy
  • ScottishPower

The Warm Home Discount is also available for some consumers on prepaid or pay-as-you-go meters. The way this works, is that your energy supplier will give you a voucher or a code that you can input into your meter to get the discount.

In addition to this, you may also be able to apply for the Discount if you are on a low income or if you get means-tested benefits. If you do qualify for the Discount, you will receive a letter from your energy supplier in the Autumn or Winter telling you that you’ll get the discount or asking you to apply for the discount. If you don’t get a letter, write to the Scheme at the following adress:

Warm Home Discount Team,
Pink Zone, 1st Floor,
Peel Park,
Brunel Way,
FY4 5ES.

About the Author

Energy Company NumbersView all posts by Energy Company Numbers
Energy Company Numbers is a telephone number directory service dedicated to helping UK consumers keep in touch with their energy suppliers.


Add comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright 2024 Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's access charge. We are not affiliated with any company, brand, agency or individual listed on this website. Other websites: